Monday, February 28, 2011

Letters from Kelsey - 12

Howdy y'all!!

So it was actually a fast week! This weekend my companion (Hermana Tuckett) was sick and it turned out to be a blessing because I took the time that she was sleeping to read the talks in the Texas Houston South Mission handbook and reading those made quite a difference. My favorite, and the ones that really hit me, were "Continue in Patience" by President Uchtdorf, "We Are Doing A Great Work and Cannot Come Down" by President Uchtdorf, "An High Priest of Good Things to Come" by Elder Holland (I encourage you all you read this one, its AMAZING!) , and "A Child and A Disciple" by President Erying. They all helped lift my spirits and my trust in the Lord. I figure that the 2 biggest things that I will learn on the mission is patience and diligence. Its hard for me to struggle with something as I have with learning Spanish. I know that it will come and that the Lord will help me, I just need to get my heart and my head in the same place and put aside my fear. I am working really hard to change my thoughts in the morning to make it so I am thinking about my investigators and the people who's life I can help change that day. I am working on having patience and enduring my afflictions and difficulties well, just just enduring them.

One of my favorite quotes "Patience means to abide in faith, knowing that sometimes it is in the waiting rather than in the receiving that we grow the most." That quote from President Uchtdorf really stuck out to me because I realized that that is what the Lord is doing with me. I am learning to put my faith and trust in him and that in due time I will learn what I need to and he will then bless me with what I want. I wouldn't be able to learn these things if I knew spanish right now, I now realize that more than I did before. On of my favorite quotes from Elder Holland is " Some blessing come soon, some come late, and some don't come until heaven; but for those who embrace the gospel of Jesus Christ they come." And another one that spoke directly to me and I hope will speak to some of you "You keep your chin up. It will be alright in the end. Trust God and believe in good things to come." I just love Elder Holland!!

Anyway it was a good week. I had my first spainsh fiesta and the only thing it had in common with other ward parties I have been to was that it was in the gym of the church. ha ha. It didn't have funeral potatoes or any sort of casserole and it was no music that we have ever played in the good ol' Mill Road Ward but it was a good time. We even had 3 investigators out to it! We had 8 investigators to church yesterday and have 12 progressing. We have 6 with a date and that is only going to improve as we had a challenge from our mission president this week to double that number. Things are going well here and I am happy to hear that things seem to be going well at home. I will think of you all as I go outside and enjoy the 65 degree weather... ha ha. Thanks again for all of you and for your letter, love and continued support, it means the world to me. May our Heavenly Father continue to bless you and your families.

Love always,
Sister Kelsey Berg

No comments:

Post a Comment