Howdy y'all,
Well I'm glad to report that the world didn't end in Texas last Saturday, just like I'm sure it didn't end in Utah or where ever this email finds you. Last weekend we had tons of people asking us if the world was going to end and what we thought about it. The funny thing was is that even though all these people were concerned with the end of the world it didn't make them any more interested in listening to our message. Funny the way that works isn't it. Last week was a little rough and we were blessed with cloudy weather on our bikes but I tell ya what- I would take 100 degree, clear skies, and sunny weather in Utah over 80 degree, cloudy, and humid weather in Texas any day. ha ha- I have never sweat so much in my life! I am very grateful though that the skies have been cloudy and we have had a cool breeze though- huge blessing. I can't believe that this is the last week of May, part of me feels like May has flown by and the other part feels like it has dragged on but we are going to end May with a bang and I am super excited! Now on to the Investigator Weekly:
Paula: She is getting BAPTIZED this weekend and I am SO excited for her! She is excited and super ready. She is already pretty much a member- after Sunday School and Relief Society she jumps right up and helps put the chairs away (because we are the last ward). She is already calling members to get ride to the Tuesday night activities and just goes and greets everyone when she gets to church like she has been a member for years. When ever I have hard days or days where nobody is home or wants to talk to us I try and remember people like Paula. I think back to a little under 2 months ago when we first met her outside her apartment and she turned down our date, and now here she is- a changed person who has seen the Gospel bless her life and her relationship with others.
Raul: I hope y'all remember Raul. He had moved from our ward but long story short, he didn't want to get baptized into Houston 9 so we got permission to teach and baptize him in Houston 2. He had gone MIA for about 2 weeks but came to church on Sunday and we talked to him and he said he wanted to get baptized this weekend so he is getting BAPTIZED too!! He has had a rough time recently because his wife doesn't like us or the church at all and doesn't like him going to church so he has had to pray a lot to find the strength to make the decision. He said that he has prayed and know he needs to get baptized even if it means his wife will divorce him, he trusts in the Lord and knows in his heart what he needs to do. Its difficult to see someone have to make a choice like this, but it makes me glad that as missionaries we aren't allowed to give people advice on what to do because I would not know what to tell him. He is excited for this weekend though and we have an appointment with him tonight to finish teaching him everything he needs to know before Saturday.
That's about it for now, we didn't get a chance to meet with Genesis last week- they weren't there for their appointment but we set one up for this week so we are hoping that things continue to progress with her. We have a pretty busy and full week ahead so we are hoping to fine some solid new investigators this week. OH! Good news! I found out this week that Jose & Carina from Houston 1 were baptized last weekend!!! I think they were married and baptized in the same day- kinda glad I wasn't there to try and organize that... my head was spinning on Sunday trying to get everything ready for this weekend, there is a lot more involved than I thought there was- especially if your ward mission leader drops the ball (which he has in the past- a lot).
Things are going good here though- there are days that are still really difficult and days where I really don't want to get back on that bike and ride in the humidity talking to people that aren't interested- but I do it and have (hopefully) become a better person because of it. Everyday the Lord blesses me with a little more spanish and understanding. We are two weeks away from transfers and I'm praying that I get sent to Galveston or out to the country- ha ha. Even in this short time on my mission I have come to understand the Atonement it ways I never did before. I have learned that because of the Atonement the Savior knows what I feel when I get that hole in my heart called homesickness. He knows what I feel when things change and my initial reaction is to resist the change. He knows when I feel overwhelmed and inadequate. I have come to learn to rely on Him and to ask Him to help lift these feelings and fill that hole in my heart. I have had those feelings lifted from me and have been given the strength I needed to bear those feelings. I am coming to learn that I (me specifically) am not needed out here to help people like Paula and Raul, any missionary can do that with the Spirit, I am needed out here to learn for myself all the things that I am trying to teach them- they are just blessings along the way. I thank you all for your continued thoughts, prayers, letters, love and support. I hope you all have a fantastic and safe Memorial Day weekend. I love you all and hope that the Lord continues to bless you and your families.
Love always,
Sister Kelsey Berg
Note from Lindsey:
Kelsey's e-mail day has been changed. Now she will write e-mails and letters on Tuesdays, and thats also when she'll pick up her mail.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment