Monday, April 4, 2011

Letters from Kelsey - 16

Howdy y'all!!

So... I was transfered closer to Relient Stadium but we can all look at it as a blessing that BYU won't be coming because I would be dying inside if they were to come.

So my new area is Houston 2 Central. I am in the ghetto and we rarely see white people, they are either Hispanic or Black. The ward is more bi-lingual than Houston 1. (Just a quick side note the bishop, Obispo Orlando Ramos, is a member of a year and a half. He was called to be the bishop the day after he and his wife were sealed in the Temple. He is some big engineer or something like that but totally looks 'bishop'. His wife was called to be the Relief Society President soon after their baptism and was released 3 months ago when he was called.)

My companion is Hermana Stevens from Bear Lake, ID and is in her last transfer so she leaves May 3rd. Its weird to know that I will take over the area and I feel very unprepared but I know that as I work hard these next 6 weeks the Lord will prepare me and lift me to the level He needs me to be. Spanish is coming slowly and sometimes I understand what is going on, in reality its probably more than I think but speaking in anything but present tense is a struggle. This week was a long week but I received a great blessing from the Lord (sorry if that sounds too missionary... I'm trying not to be ;) ). On Thursday morning I was feeling very home sick for Heber and for my last area where I had finally started to feel comfortable. During my prayer to start my personal study I plead with my Heavenly Father to help me not feel homesick. I didn't want my heart to ache and to go through the tough transition that I did when I first got to Texas. Before I even finished my prayer I felt comforted and the hurt went away and I haven't felt homesick since. As most of you know I very, very, very much dislike change so having to move so much the last little bit has been difficult but I know that Heavenly Father is mindful of me and that with each change I will grow, learn, and push myself just a little bit more and hey, who knows by the time June 2012 rolls around I might like change!! Ha ha

Now on to our investigators:

Familia Salas: They are a family of 5 who are amazing and their 9 year old girl wants them to be a normal family who prays and eats dinner together. ha ha. She is the driving force in her family. The mom and 9 year old came to church yesterday to Sacrament meeting and they seemed to enjoy it. We will find out this week how sincere they are when we check up to see if they have been praying and reading. Their date is April 23.

Raul y Alba: They have 3 kids. Alba goes to a church every Sunday morning at 8 but Raul doesn't. Raul reads what we leave them and Alba doesn't. We tried to get them to church yesterday but Raul's haircut went over so they didn't come- a pretty legit excuse if you ask me. (I think a haircut is SO much more important than my salvation ;). They promised to come to General Conference on Sunday though. Alba really wants to follow Christ and know which church is true, it just depends on if they are willing to change when they get the answer. We are praying that they recognize their answers on Saturday. Their date is also April 23.

Quick update from H1 Giovanni's baptism date is this Saturday!! I hope it goes through and will let you all know next week!

This area is a lot different than my last one. Its smaller and we have less progressing investigators. We will work hard though and meet our goals. We do have 10 with a date which is something we can work really hard on and help them achieve their goals. The work progresses and I continue to see tender mercies from the Lord every day. I thank you all so much for your love and support and know that the Lord will continue to bless all of you. With the Lord at the helm we have no reason to fear.

Love Always,
Sister Kelsey Berg

P.S. Just a reminder about the new address:
Sister Kelsey Berg
Texas Houston South Mission
602 Eldridge Road
Sugar Land, TX 77478

No comments:

Post a Comment